Full Card Hexagon Die from Simon Says Stamp

During Hero Arts' 2014 catalog blog hop I watched Laura Bassen use Hero Art's Triangle Die and paper piece the little triangles onto the front of the card.  (I linked her blog post - click on Laura's name above).  I loved it and decided I had to give it a try.

Today I am trying her technique, except I used all parts of the die cuts on my card front.  I wanted to make something that reminded me of a quilt.  So I used the Full Card Hexagons die from Simon Says Stamp and created a card that I most likely will duplicate many, many times.  It was so much fun to make.

Using the remaining papers from my February card kit, I cut out the hexagon die out of two pieces of Neenah solar white and three patterns from the kit.  (The Basic Grey Fresh Cuts papers are so cute).  Using Tombow glue, I glued the two Neenah die cuts together to give the card some dimension.  I cut a 4 x 5.25 piece of white paper and glued it to the back to have somewhere to adhere the patterned hexagons.


Using my QuickStik and Tombow glue, I filled in the empty hexagons with the patterned paper hexagons.  I also used the white hexagons to make sure the card was not too heavy on different patterned papers.



When I was finished filling in all the hexagons, I stamped the sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Thinking of You set in VersaMark and heat set Ranger Super Fine Detail embossing powder in black on a Bazzill 40lb vellum strip.  I could have used a die cut sentiment for a floating effect, but I do not have on that say Thinking of You…. yet.  I used the vellum because I did not want to take away from the background and wanted it to be almost transparent.  I wrapped the vellum strip around the card and adhered it in the back of the hexagon piece.

I finished the card by popping up the hexagon piece on a piece of black card stock matted on a Neenah Solar White card stock base.  I added a few pale pink gems by the sentiment for a little sparkle.  I used a little glue behind the gems to tack the vellum to the card front.

I am entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Transparent.

The supplies I used are listed below.  Thank you for stopping by!






Comments

  1. Beautiful! I love all of those hexagons. Thank you for entering your card in our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this beautiful card and I adore the hexagons and the touch of vellum. Thanks so much for sharing your project and for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is gorgeous! I not only love the hexagons, but I love how thoughtfully you filled them in at random. I also adore the patterns and color choices you made. It has sort of a shabby chic feel, but it's still so vibrant and full of life. The transparent overlay with that whimsical font is the perfect finishing touch. And the bling!! Love that attention to detail. Thank you so much for sharing this with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts